Will Durant once said, “To give life a meaning, one must have a purpose larger than self”.
In order to understand a purpose larger than self, we must first understand the meaning of purpose.
Although there have been many theological, philosophical, metaphysical, and scientific speculations on our reason for being; however for this post, I just want to keep it simple, and brief.
What is a purpose or our reason for being?
A purpose is simply your divine assignment in life.
Let me affirm, as a starting point, “I believe everyone is born with a divine assignment in life, and they (you and I) have a right and responsibility to find out what that is”.
- Your purpose is embedded in your dreams, gifts, and God-given desires. Example: I envisioned myself speaking in front of millions; and have seen the progress towards that vision with each speaking engagement.
- Our purpose is our internal GPS as it guides life decisions, shapes goals… and is the central motivating aim in our life.
In Japanese, it is called “IKIGAI “the source of value in one’s life or the thing that makes one’s life worth living”.
Ikigai is seen as the convergence of four primary elements.
- What you Love (your passion)
- What the World Needs (your mission)
- What you are Good at (your vocation)
- What you can get Paid for (your profession)
This is enough for now.
I hope this provides you with a starting point for your journey towards discovering your divine assignment (purpose) in life.